Sunday, July 2, 2017

What I Read- June 2017

Hello fellow readers!
June was a crazy month, with Summer Camp at the beginning and VBS at the end. So, unfortunately, I did not have much time to read.

The Horse and His Boy (C.S. Lewis)

the horse and his boy

This is my favorite of the books in the Chronicles of Narnia. I actually did not like it the first few times I read it. I didn't understand what was going on. But then we listened to the Focus on the Family radio drama version, and I fell in love with this book. I felt like reading an old favorite, so I did.
Shasta is the "son" of a Caloreman fisherman. He is treated badly by the fisherman, Arsheesh. One day, a visitor comes to town. Shasta discovers that his horse, Bree, can talk, and the two run away together...north, to Narnia. On the way, they meet Aravis and her talking horse Hwin. Together, the four get into trouble, cross the desert, and finally make it to Narnia. Along the way they learn important lessons about friendship.
One of my favorite quotes ever comes from this book. Aslan, the lion who is the true High King of Narnia, is talking to Shasta in the dark. Shasta asks a question about Aravis, wanting to know what happened to her. Aslan replies, "Child, I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own."

Prague Counterpoint (Bodie Thoene)

prague counterpoint

This is continuing the story in Vienna Prelude. Elisa watches in horror as the Nazis take over her beloved Vienna. She is in Prague, but her dear Jewish friends, Leah and Shimon are still in Vienna. Her desire to see her friends safely out of Vienna draws her back into the heart of the struggle. Elisa discovers that Shimon has been captured and Leah is in hiding with two 5-year-old Jewish boys who are being sought by the gestapo. When she is offered a position as courier for an undercover group plotting to overthrow the Nazis, she turns it down because she feels that her calling is to rescue Jewish children from Austria. Meanwhile, she longs to see John Murphy again, who is having is own adventures. They eventually meet in Austria, and together help Leah and the boys escape. But the story is far from over...because there are still four other books in the series! :)




reading quote

No comments:

Post a Comment