What Chick-fil-a Has Taught Me

I've worked at Chick-fil-a for six months now. I LOVE it! I really do. I enjoy the work, and my coworkers are great.

Over the past six months, I've grown in many ways. I wanted to list a few of them here, to memorialize how far I've come since February.

1. Working at Chick-fil-a has made me stronger. I actually have upper body strength now! Thanks to filling lemonades, carrying sauce boxes, setting up umbrellas, stocking ice, etc. etc. etc. I'm stronger than I was in February. Most of this has honestly only happened in the last three months that I've been working mornings (if you are a CFA employee who works opening shifts, I'm sure you know what I'm refering too!). Who needs the gym when you can simply lift sweet tea?

2. Working at Chick-fil-a has made me more courageous. Thanks to the rude and impatient customers I have to approach and say, "I'm sorry, but your order is going to take a few minutes longer. I need you to pull around to the front of the building, in front of the double doors. We will bring your food out to you shortly." I may hate it in the moment, but I've learned to be courageous and just do it!

3. Working at Chick-fil-a has taught me to speak LOUDER! I have to compete with the background noise in order to be heard while I take orders, to say nothing of yelling "THREE CFA NO PICKLES AND FIVE MEDIUM FRIES" while on headset!

4. Working at Chick-fil-a has taught me how to fill downtime with productive activities. Well, at least cleaning the outside of the same cupboard looks productive, even if it really isn't.

5. Working at Chick-fil-a has shown me that I have a great love for making sure things are fully functional. I take great pride in having the condiment bars, sauces, and fridges fully and neatly stocked. I'm maybe a little over-obsessed with it...it drives me crazy when coworkers don't do it the way I do (whether the way I do it is good or bad...I have yet to find out!)

6. Working at Chick-fil-a has stretched my memory capacity. I've learned so many jobs and positions, and I have to remember so many different things. Sure, there have been times I've messed up (like asking the lady in drive thru: "Is your order for here or to go?"), but I've been doing a pretty good job of keeping all the information straight!

7. Chick-fil-a has allowed me the opportunity to make many, many new friends. From my coworkers who came to our family game night, to other coworkers that I chat with on break, to fun times working drive thru together, to classmates who work at different locations and enjoy swapping stories, to Mr. Jim who comes in almost every morning for breakfast, I've got many new friends thanks to Chick-fil-a.

No, working here isn't perfect. Nothing will be perfect in a flawed world. But I'm beyond thankful for the time that God has given me to work here and to learn and grow and be stretched, and, I hope, shine brightly for him as we go.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying work at CFA. I'll keep praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good observations!! I'm glad you work there~=0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment