Your Story

This week, a new friend at school asked me to share my testimony. I did. Later, this samd friend texted me to say they were praying for me and to thank me for sharing my testimony. I texted back to thank them for asking to hear it. And I said: "I feel like we don't ask those questions enough in the church these days."

We don't ask people to share their testimonies enough in the church. I would love to hear some of the following questions in our churches more often:
How have you seen Gods faithfulness recently?
What is your testimony?
What spiritual fruit have you seen in your life recently?
How is your walk with Jesus?

And more than just the questions, I'd love to see honest answers given.

But all too often, our questions barely scratch the surface.
How are you?
Hows life?
Hows school going?
Hows work?

Why are we afraid of going deeper? Of being vulnerable? Of asking questions that make us uncomfortable? Of talking about our walk with God?

I think we are afraid of rejection. We are afraid of being uncomfortable. We have this mindset that our walk with God is private, and no one else needs to know what's going on.

But how about this: God commands us in his word to build each other up and encourage one another. "Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." (1 Thess. 5:11) How are we supposed to do that if we never go deeper than "How is work?"

Can we really be encouraging one another if we don't know where the struggles are? If we don't know what others need to be encouraged in?

It may feel uncomfortable to share your testimony. I don't know fully why that is. Our story is a special story of our relationship with God...we shouldn't be afraid to share it. This is a way to praise God for his faithfulness.

So may challenge for you this week is simple: First, prepare your testimony. Think about your story. Be ready to share it if someone asks you.
Second, be the one to ask. Ask a fellow believer to share their story with you. Listen intently, share your story, and pray for one another.

It's worth it. ♡ 

Comments