A Scripture Memory Plan

Photo by Patrick Fore on Unsplash


This year, I have a list of 52 verses I want to memorize. One each week. They aren't long, or difficult.

But this has been my problem in years past. I don't have a good method for memorizing scripture and making it stick.

So, this year, I'm combining tips that I've seen and heard and I've created a method for myself. I thought I would share it today in case you, too need some help jump-starting your scripture memory.

What I have found for myself is that repetition and writing help it stick.

Here is my method. I've used it for two verses so far, and it is working great. I'll gladly take tips and suggestions in the comments below.

Every Sunday or Monday, I write the verse on two notecards. One gets hung above my desk and the other goes in my car. That way the verse is always before me.

Monday starts "Day 1" of my method. I have a journal I use for all the writing and copying involved.

Day 1: Write out the verse. Read it aloud twice.
*note: reading and saying it OUT LOUD is key! Use proper inflection and tone, it makes it stick better!*
Day 2: Read 10 times. Write once.
Day 3: Read 5 times. Recite (from memory) five times. Write once.
Day 4: Read 5 times. Recite 10 times. Write from memory once.
Day 5: Recite 5 times. Write from memory once.
Day 6: Recite

This leaves one day off as a make up day. Because sometimes it happens where you just can't get to it every day.

So what about old verses? How do I keep those solid and store them in long-term memory? I thought for a while about that, and came up with a plan.

Each day, review past verses. For the most recent one, recite it ten times. For all the others, recite it five times. Do written review on any verses that are giving you trouble.

When a verse is a month old, you don't need to repeat it every day. Simply review it every once in a while, maybe a couple times a month.

Now, I know that may sound confusing, so I'll illustrate it with the first five verses of my plan (full list will be at the end of this post).

Week 1: Learn 2 Corinthians 5:17. No verses to review this week.
Week 2: Learn Galatians 2:20, Review 2 Corinthians 5:17 ten times a day.
Week 3: Learn Romans 12:1, Review Galatians 2:20 ten times a day, review 2 Corinthians 5:17 five times a day.
Week 4: Learn John 14:21, review Romans 12:1 ten times a day, review Galatians 2:20 and 2 Corinthians 5:17 five times a day.
Week 5 (new month): Learn 2 Timothy 3:16, review John 14:21 ten times a day, review Romans 12:1 and Galatians 2:20 five times a day, review 2 Corinthians 5:17 a couple times a month from now on.

This is the scripture memory method that I came up with for myself.
What kind of a method do you use for memorizing scripture?

Bonus: My verse list.
I've created a PDF to share with you that has a list of all 52 verses I'll be memorizing this year. It also has the memory method I created detailed again at the end of the file. You can find the PDF at this link. Feel free to download, print, and share as much as you would like.

"I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11

Comments