Seeking Eternity

 “Think about this: if God has already granted you a place in eternity, then he has also already granted you all of the grace you need along the way, or you’d never get there. There is grace for our fickle and easily distracted hearts. There is rescue for our self-absorption and lack of focus. The God of eternity grants you his eternal grace so that you can live with eternity in view.” (Paul David Tripp, New Morning Mercies, January 3) 

Luke 12:13-21 is the parable of the rich fool, who had tons of grain and proudly planned to build bigger barns and enjoy his wealth. It ends with God coming to him in a dream and telling him that his life is required from him because of his pride. “So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God” (Luke 12:21 ESV). 

The very next verse goes into the section on not being anxious. “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, not about your body, what you will put on. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing” (Luke 12:22-23 ESV). 

Being anxious about the things of this life leads us to be like the greedy, rich fool. Storing up treasure on earth leads to anxiety. According to Jesus in this section, freedom comes in recognizing that God has us taken care of. We don’t need to seek after earthly things. Store up treasures in heaven. 

“Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you” (Luke 12:31 ESV).

Seeking God’s kingdom beings freedom from anxiety because we know we don’t have to store up things for ourselves here on earth. He will take care of it. 

“Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom” (Luke 12:32 ESV). 

When we seek, he gives. What does seeking look like? Read on. 

“Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no their approaches and no moth destroys” (Luke 12:33 ESV).

I’ll admit, I struggle with reading this verse. Really, God, I need to sell everything in order to gain the kingdom? I don’t have this question figured out, so I’ll put it here without an answer: why do I squirm at he idea of selling everything and giving to the poor? What needs to change in my heart so that I can seek the kingdom in this way? What is holding me back? 

Storing up earthly treasure leads to anxiety and fear and greed. Storing up heavenly treasure and seeking the kingdom leads to freedom from those things and the ability to worship and love God. 

Question for Application: What areas in my life am I seeking after earthly treasure instead of focusing on the kingdom? How can I make an effort to seek the kingdom more and more in all areas of my life, trusting God to take care of my physical needs? 

“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Luke 12:34 ESV). 


Comments